Seniors Experience Applying to Colleges

Carly Earnest

Although senior Bailey Buie applied to nine colleges, she chose Colorado State where they offer the chemical and biological engineering program she wants. She will also be in the honors college and minor in violin performance.

Many high school seniors are applying to colleges and receiving or awaiting replies. This process looks different for every student. With many students’ busy schedules, finding time to complete these long applications is challenging.
“The worst part for sure is trying to find time to work on your applications with classes,” said senior Bailey Buie.
Many students strive to get into their one dream school, but they apply to multiple schools as a back-up plan.
“I have applied to nine schools in total,” said Buie. “My number one choice is Rice. It’s my dream, and the rest I am applying to I like about the same.”
Seniors start applying very early so they can have enough time to prepare for college and decide which school and major to pursue.
“I started applying when the Common App lets you start working on it. I started the application process in June-July [of 2020], and that was filling out basic information,” said Buie.
The ‘Common App’ is an online college application form used by over 700 universities and colleges, allowing students to apply to multiple schools without filling out the same information multiple times.
Graduating seniors this year have a disadvantage compared to past years due to COVID-19.
“Normally the counselors at school will give you information about the application process at the end of your junior year,” said senior Brinn Hammond, attending University of Texas in the fall. “But since we were in quarantine, they didn’t, and most of us didn’t really know what to expect going into the process at all.”
Several graduating seniors wished they got more information about the process before starting the application process.
“Before the application process for college, I wasn’t aware of the fact that they offer resumes. I never had to write one so I didn’t know how and ended up not offering a resume in my first application,” said senior Dulcinea Galvez.
After completing the application process, these seniors have tips for underclassmen.
“Start taking the SAT earlier than you think you need to in case you need more time to raise your score,” said Buie. “Start asking for recommendation letters from your teachers before summer break starts. I would start asking for them during spring break time.”
“Be yourself in your admissions essay and just try to make it super representative of who you are and how you have learned from certain things over the course of your life,” said Hammond.
While transitioning from high school to college is a tedious experience for many students, Dulcinea Galvez is looking forward to college experiences like “living in a dorm. I’m also looking forward to my classes, [and] majoring in Linguistics.”