On September 3rd, Champion Highschool’s varsity football team played and defeated MacArthur High School. The student section cheers them on as they take home the win. Senior’s dress in their homemade overalls to present their school spirit. (Carly Earnest)
On September 3rd, Champion Highschool’s varsity football team played and defeated MacArthur High School. The student section cheers them on as they take home the win. Senior’s dress in their homemade overalls to present their school spirit.

Carly Earnest

El Camp-NO

Champion High School takes on the El Campo Ricebirds for their annual homecoming football game

September 24, 2021

The Champion Chargers are preparing for their annual homecoming football game tonight, Friday, September 24 at the Boerne ISD football field, where they will face the El Campo Ricebirds at 7pm.
El Campo “is a really solid team with a great running back,” said senior varsity captain Ryan Brandon. “But I have full confidence we will come out on top and get the job done, like we always do.”
The Chargers have watched tapes of the Ricebirds’ games and practiced daily to compete against the El Campo team who boast a 5-star running back (the star system for high school players is a way college scouts rank athletes in the recruiting classes). The Chargers acknowledge that talent matters, but there are other contributing factors on the field. As always, the hometown support will play a role in the Chargers’ performance tonight.
“Everyone from all over Boerne shows up and always manages to pack the stands. The student section a lot of times during games sets the energy for everyone else,” said Brandon. “The louder y’all are, the more energy we have and the better we seem to play. When the student section is on, it’s electric.”
The players count on our CHS cheering section to bring the screams and chants that drive them to victory.
“The student section and band, I’d say, are some of the biggest [supporters],” said varsity wide receiver Kannon Brooks. “Being at home, the noise and the atmosphere plays a big factor in what down it is and the outcome of the game.”
While homecoming traditions will fill the stands with students and alumni, they may be surprised by some new faces. With starting quarterback Karson Kaiser out due to a shoulder injury, quarterback Jordan Ballin is ready to go.
“Big nerves for the second start of my high school football career,” said Ballin. “But they are part of the game.”
Though many athletes feel game day anxiety, players feel prepared for this game.
“Everyone is nervous,” said Brooks. “But after that first play and first catch, [nerves] all go away because you have to focus on the game.”
Because they have prepared, they have practiced, and they feel united, the Chargers say they are ready for whatever the Ricebirds bring tonight.
“This season is different from past seasons because not only do we have all the talent in the world, but we also have a group of guys that’s more of a family then anything else,” said Brandon. “With that, we can be unstoppable.”

Charger Ink. • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

Charger Ink intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Charger Ink does not allow anonymous comments, and Charger Ink requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *