HOCO Tickets Sold Out

Amy Steward

2020 Homecoming tickets sold out early Tuesday October 20th in Champion High School’s front foyer.

Champion High School’s homecoming football game tickets ran out before the start of first lunch, less than three hours after going on sale. The tickets, sold Tuesday, October 20th both in the school foyer and at the athletic office, were limited to maintain social distancing in the stands.
“We were selling 400 students and 200 adults,” said the counselors’ secretary Ms. Nicole Pfeifer who was one of the people selling homecoming tickets. “They probably sold out 100% definitely before lunch, so it was probably 10:30am.”
Once the tickets sold out, an announcement was made over the loudspeaker to inform the students.
“I honestly think it’s crazy,” said sophomore homecoming court representative Grace Flores. “Didn’t it just open at eight this morning? I feel like now that people can’t go and there’s a limit, that everyone wants to go.”
Students formed lines Tuesday morning before school, stretching from the front foyer all along the hallway leading to the back doors.
“I felt like it was extremely overwhelming,” said Ms. Pfeifer. “There was just a mad crush of people.”
Many agree that the Coronavirus is to blame.
“If it was a regular year, we probably would’ve still had tickets, and everybody would’ve been able to go,” said Varsity Football player Cooper Marshall. “And with Boerne High’s game selling out, and that happened weeks ago, everybody saw that it sold out and a lot of seniors weren’t able to go, so everybody’s really quick with the tickets.”
Ms. Pfeifer shared the same thought.
“I wish it was like it was pre-COVID. Pretty much everyone could’ve gotten a ticket, and I think that would’ve been nice, but COVID isn’t new,” said Ms. Pfiefer. “We kind of know this is the world we’re living in this moment and it will get better, but I think it would’ve been nice if everyone could’ve gotten a ticket.”

2020 Homecoming student tickets sold out at CHS early Tuesday October 20th. (Amy Steward)

That morning, students weren’t the only ones racing to buy tickets.
“My dad got to the place across from central office [the athletic office] at 8am and it was almost sold out,” said Flores. “He said parents were in line at 6:45am.”
Cooper Marshall also commented on the line at the central office.
“I think the main thing is all the parents get the opportunity to go see their seniors play if they have seniors, or just see their kids play in general,” said Marshall.
With more students and parents than tickets, many will be unable to attend and support those they know participating in both the game and halftime performances. As a result, some may be willing to pay more than standard. Grace Flores believes those who bought tickets might scalp them.
“I feel like people would be more angry than focusing on supporting each other,” said Flores.
Ms. Pfiefer, however, disagreed.
“I feel like if we didn’t have any other activities to get them into the school spirit then I think they would feel like they missed out,” said Ms. Pfiefer. “There’s so many other aspects of homecoming they can enjoy.”
Fortunately, it’s possible to watch the game without being there in person.
“So far all of the games this year have been streamed because of the limited attendance capacity,” said Ms. Pfiefer.
Even without attending the football game, the themes, decorations, parade and overall school spirit has made the week stand out.
“There’s plenty of other ways to enjoy homecoming,” said Ms. Pfiefer. “It’s not just the game itself.”