Get a Job!

Carly Earnest

As students are getting ready for summer, the BISD job fair has organized a function for all students to attend. Blacksmith Grill offered job applications and candy to interested students.

Champion High School’s first job fair took place on Wednesday, May 11 in the main foyer  providing opportunities for students to find summer internships and new jobs. Organizations including Taco Cabana visited to offer information about the companies and ways to connect. The school offered prizes to those who visited such as a whole year of Whataburger Basket (valued at $350) and many more.

Though some jobs require the applicant to be 18 years or older, there were jobs for students of all ages.

“In my opinion, the job fair was very educational and beneficial to all students,” said senior Emma Stroud. “It also encourages the underclassmen and students who don’t have jobs yet to search and find a good match for them.”

The fair took place during school from 12pm-4pm, but since it was during the week of AP testing, some students  missed out on this chance.

“I missed because of AP Biology and I’m so sad because I saw super cool booths being set up with stuff I didn’t know about, and I feel like I missed an opportunity to be introduced to jobs I don’t know,” said senior Payton Richmond.

Many students hope that the fair will return next year so they can view options available for work.

“I feel like there were lots of opportunities I could have taken but I didn’t have time to visit them all,” said sophomore Josh Hull. “I wish they would do the job fair next year cause it allowed me to see more job opportunities.”

With over 40 visiting organizations, students felt as though there were opportunities for everyone.

“I think there were plenty of opportunities such as machine handling, coaching, food service industry, retail opportunities, along with law enforcement and salesman jobs,” said sophomore Michael Redd. “Nothing is perfect and not every job opportunity for high schoolers was there, but enough examples of what the workforce looks like were there to show kids what to expect for entry level jobs.”