The Student News Site of Champion High School

Charger Ink.

Charger Ink.

Charger Ink.

The Official Summer 2023 Bucket List!

Dylan Taylor
An illustration by Dylan Taylor, resident Charger Ink artist, as inspiration for any summer activities.

End up using any of these ideas? DM us your photos from it on Instagram and be sure to mention this article, and they might just end up posted on our page!

It’s that time of year again… when the grass is green, the sun is out, and kids are here, there, everywhere! There is so much to do that it can be tough to find where to start.

Here is a list of things to do to beat that summer boredom:

Have a picnic with friends

Pack your favorite foods and a blanket, and get ready to relax in the sun while also taking in the fresh air from the wonderful outdoors. You could also take it up a notch and bring a board trend. If you aren’t sure what that is, it is essentially where each friend brings a different board. Whether that be a candy board, vegetable board, your average cheese board, etc. Here are more ideas if you need help. 

How to Put Together a Board Night Worthy of TikTok

Go to a drive-in-movie

It is a different and spontaneous way to enjoy some of your favorite films. You can pack whatever snacks you want, and bring whoever you want with you. Sitting under the stars, while watching the movie from the comfort of your own car. Here is a good place if you are not sure where to go:

Stars & Stripes Drive-In Theatre

Address: 1178 Kroesche Ln, New Braunfels, TX 78130

Tickets average at only $10 a person.

Try a new water sport

It is a great way to cool off in the hot sun. It might even be a fun challenge to try something you haven’t done before. You can go kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing, and so much more! Boerne Lake would be a great place to go. Here is an overview for further information. 

Boerne City Lake Park | Boerne, TX – Official Website

Rentals are $20 an hour for kayaks and stand up paddle boards.

Have a photo shoot

Get a disposable camera and go by yourself or with friends to a park, a vineyard, or a strawberry farm where you can go and also pick fresh strawberries. Fredericksburg has a beautiful Orchard. It is called Jenschke Orchards, in Gillespie County, Texas. But there are so many more places to go that have gorgeous scenery that you can visit.

• Cibolo Center for Conservation (140 City Park Rd)
  • Cibolo Nature Center (1681 River Rd)
  • Cascade Caverns (226 Cascade Cavern)

Go camping in your backyard

If you like an adventure but also prefer to stay home where you are comfortable, this is a great solution for you. Set up a tent, or if you have a pool, you can even get creative and buy a kiddie pool, pop some pillows and blankets in there, and float around as you watch the sunrise. 

Make tanghulu

It is a popular snack that originated from northern China, and it is essentially just candied fruit. It has a hard shell on the outside, made from sugar syrup, creating a crunchy outside texture with a yummy, juicy fruit of your choice on the inside. It is simple to make and a great refreshing snack for the summer, here is a recipe to help you out: Tanghulu Recipe

Go to a trampoline park

It’s a great way to get active and have fun while jumping and bouncing around with friends. Here are some places close by, Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park, and Altitude Trampoline Park.

Tickets average $13 an hour per person.

Go to a drive-through safari

It is a unique experience that allows you to interact with wild animals up close from the safety of your own car. You can go to Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch in San Antonio, TX. It is about $45 per car, but well worth the cost.

Experiment with arts and crafts

If you have an old shirt and you are wanting to spice it up, why not tie-dye it! It is a simple task, but here are some instructions to help you out. 

How to Tie Dye – Easy Techniques for Beginners – Sarah Maker.

You can also try customizing shoes. Find a pair you hardly wear anymore and try to make them new and improved. Get some paint and markers and draw wherever you want, any design that would interest you. Here is some help and inspiration

Custom Shoe Design Ideas Created By Designers

Get some string, there is so much you can do with it. You can make an assortment of friendship bracelets, and get trendy by doing the threaded hair wraps. If you are not familiar with what it is, this website will show you what it is and how to do it. 

How to Do a Hair Wrap for Vacation Hair – L’Oréal Paris