Savannah Dupre and the Golf Team Crush it at State

Lindsey Castillon, Social Media and Marketing Manager

The varsity girls’ golf team poses in their state outfits at the tournament, Savannah Dupre in the middle. (Lindsey Castillon)

The Varsity Girls Golf Team traveled to Georgetown on May 15th and 16th to compete in the UIL State Tournament where along finishing 5th out of 15 teams, senior Savannah Dupre placed in the top 10 individually. 

“As with any tournament, there are definitely nerves leading up to it, but with it being the State Championship, there can certainly be more,” said Dupre. “We all wanted to represent our school and community well and I am excited for the opportunity to do so.”

Because golf is an outdoor sport, many factors come into play that each athlete must prepare for — especially weather conditions.

“Each round we played had its own challenges,” said junior Brooke Castillon. “On Monday we played in the rain and had to come back from a weather delay and on Tuesday we had to remain strong during winds. Even though these were difficult, all of us were able to motivate ourselves and each other to persevere in each round.”

Throughout this year, the varsity girls’ team bonded through events such as team dinners, practicing consistently throughout the year, and playing many rounds of golf in order to prepare for the event.

“Team golf is something that is hard to describe, ” said Head Coach Jason Sweatman. “We play as individuals but compete as a team. The bond they have I believe comes from a common goal and putting themselves out there for the world to see creates a commitment to each other knowing they are playing for more than just themselves. They play for each other and that is why they are so special.”

Dupre committed to St. Mary’s University to continue her golf career at the collegiate level. She placed in the top 10 participants individually to finish off her years as a Charger.

Having the opportunity to play in the State Championship is something that I will always be grateful for! Although I’ve played in hundreds of junior golf tournaments, representing Champion High School and the Boerne community is a special feeling,” said Dupre.

One thing each girl has in common is their dedication to the sport. Each athlete had family members, friends, and former teammates travel to support them. “We want the whole school to know our name,” said Castillon. “We practice so hard and are so grateful we were able to see the tremendous support throughout the community.”

The 2022-2023 Girls Golf Team had an incredible season and saw their dedication and love for the sport be reflected as a top 5 name in the state of Texas.

“They are some of the best golfers in the State, and Texas has some of the best golf in the nation — they are elite competitors,” said Coach Sweatman.