Alphabet Soup: What is an Honor Society?

Russell Roach, Reporter

Our school offers a multitude of classes and clubs, including the highly sought-after academic honor societies; even though these organizations are popular and range in subjects, their details aren’t necessarily common knowledge. Many potential members are left with important questions such as what an honor society is, what they do, or why they should join one. 

Academic societies aim to assist our community and recognize high achieving students. For example, National Honor Society, the most populous honor society, hosts dozens of service events throughout the year.

“NHS is an organization of high school students that have demonstrated exemplary Character, Leadership, Scholarship and Service while at Champion High School,” said NHS sponsor Mrs. Wendy Zamzow.  “NHS has hosted many activities over the years, including a blood drive, canned food drives, toys for tots at Christmas, and one of our favorites, campus cleanup.”

Students can hold officer positions, such as treasurer, secretary, or president. Presidents are in charge of meetings, volunteer opportunities, and activities for the group. 

I believe I was chosen as president due to my former experience as an officer in the organization,” said senior Aaron DeLeon, president of National English Honor Society. “However, the responsibilities of the president are in no way unique. All officers work to design service opportunities, track hours of each member, and more.”

Students interested in joining any honor society must go through an application process. These range from simply declaring interest in the program to a lengthy application involving transcripts and essays. But one question still remains — why do students join these rigorous organizations? The answer varies by member.

“I’m in Rho Kappa [the social studies honor society] because I like history and I like being part of a community,” said senior Natalie Holder. Holder plans to go into social studies education and feels that Rho Kappa will help prepare for that.

Others simply like the opportunities honor societies create.

“I genuinely care about service for the community,” said senior Laura Tidwell, a member of multiple honor societies. “As well as having a well-rounded college resume.”

No matter their reason for joining, members often consider it a worthwhile experience.

“When I initially joined sophomore year, I had no idea what to expect,” said senior Hien Pham about the NEHS. “But it’s been a fun experience to be a part of it.” Pham now serves as Vice President, helping others find that same ‘fun experience’ through academics.