Welcome to the Club!

A taste of the clubs Champion has to offer

There’s more than just the sport clubs?

Champion High School hosted their annual Club Fair on September 14th for students to learn how to be more involved in our community in areas other than athletics.

Take a look inside to see how a few of the clubs on campus shape students’ lives.

Architecture Club: representatives present: senior Analisa Guzman , senior Hayden Pettit, senior Ryan Carson

Architecture Club. L to R: Analisa Guzman (Senior), Hayden Pettit (Senior), Ryan Carson (Senior) (Jeniah Terry)

Members said their main reason for joining the Architecture Club was because of their “devoted passion and for the love of all things construction.” Since Champion hasn’t ever had an architecture club, the students decided to take action and create their own.

To advertise, they presented 3-D models and offered peppermint candies during the fair. The Architecture Club looks forward to recruiting new individuals every day, and provides the opportunity to visit different architectural sites across the Boerne area. The Architecture Club meets on the third Thursday of every month in Mrs. Graves’ room.

Autism Speaks: representative present: senior Lyle Rideout
The members of Autism Speaks chose to join such a unique club to form more memorable friendships with the life skills kids. “It’s inclusive and a great way for the life skills students to be connected with the rest of the school,” said Lyle Rideout, president of Autism Speaks. Their flyers are passed around often, and many posters are affixed aroun

d the campus. Club meeting days are to be determined.

Fashion Club: representatives present: senior Lily Simmons, senior Ana Vasquez
Those involved in the Fashion Club choose to do so mostly because, “it is a good way to be expressive and it is a part of a fun environment.” The members believe that others should join the club for the purpose of expressing their styles and individuality. “If you are willing to try new things, this club is perfect for you!” said the members. Fashion Club meetings are to be determined.

Gay-Straight Alliance: L to R: Sophia Fiksman (Junior), Avery Case (Senior), Kayla Lange (Senior) (Jeniah Terry)

GSA: representatives present: junior Sophia Fiksman , senior Avery Case , junior Kayla Lange
Members of the Gay-Straight Alliance focus mainly on inclusivity. “GSA offers a sense of community, and it’s the best place to find anyone who is queer and express their identity,” said senior club member Avery Case. GSA wants to recruit new members so they can help individuals express themselves, and continue to educate students on a variety of topics. GSA meets every Friday in Mrs. Pelletiers’ room.

Environmental Club: representat

ives present: senior Ryan Nereson, senior Emily Frey
Putting the environment first, the Environmental Club offers a safe domain to actively care for the natural world around us. Senior Emily Frey said, “The Environmental Club provides an inviting atmosphere and a low-stressed, genuinely fun… well, environment.” Individuals should join the club to advocate for environmental consciousness and help around the Boerne area. The Environmental Club meets every third Wednesday in Mrs. Pease’s room.

Student Council: representatives present: senior Grace McClain, junior Margaret (Maggie) Butler

Student Council: L to R: Grace Mcclain (Senior), Margaret
Butler (Junior) (Jeniah Terry)

Those who are in the student council usually seek positions within the club because of their siblings. “My brother, Walker Butler, was the vice president of STUCO last year. He’s always been a very outgoing, charismatic person, and when I saw that he’d taken up a leadership role in the Student Council, I knew I wanted to follow in his footsteps in leading our school,” said junior Margaret Butler. Senior Grace McClain said, “Student council offers us an opportunity to become a prominent leader and a figure we want others to look up to.” Student Council’s most prosperous form of advertisement is their social media platforms. Every year, students ask “where can I find the themes for homecoming?” or “What’s new around the school?” From the pep rallies to advocating for local parades, Student Council members utilize promoting events on their social media to grow their patronage. “Student Council offers lots of volunteer hours, and wants to make use of new individuals to make our events bigger and better,” said the members. Student Council meets 7th period in Mr. Kolar’s room.

Writing Club: representatives present: senior Helena Chavez, senior Sarah Manson, senior Sabrina Kelly

Members of the Writing Club enjoy writing prompts and engage in countless activities that activate the creativity of an individual’s mind. “We chose to join to have a hub for inspiration that we usually do not get outside of school,” members said. Writing club hopes to advocate their club through the morning announcements. Senior Sarah Manson said, “We want people to join for the purpose of having a support group. For those who write but can’t get into it, the writing club will offer a welcoming community of writers for you to confide in.” Writing Club meets every Tuesday after school in Mr. Tindell’s room

FCCLA: representatives present: sophomore Ellen McCanless

FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) Ellen McCanless (sohpmore) (Jeniah Terry)

Partakers in Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America — or, FCCLA — enjoy being involved in our community in and out of school. “It’s a great way to get involved in the community, and that’s what I was looking for in a club when I was applying. FCCLA is also a great group of people, and volunteer hours are easy to come by,” said sophomore Ellen McCanless. Advertising for the club is a big deal, since not many students at Champion are aware that the club exists. “We promote with flyers and posters over school, along with word of mouth. A reason that FCCLA is such a close club is that the word mainly travels from friend to friend. Thus, everyone within FCCLA is very close and well known within the club,” said Ellen. FCCLA meets every second Friday of the month in the library.

German Club meets: representatives present: senior Nolan Vester
The German club opens up the opportunity for countless students to experience a new language. There are many reasons to join the German Club. “Since I’ve already been in German, if I am going to continue I might as well join the actual club,” said senior Nolan Vester. To advertise, the German club is inviting students to “Sprachfest,” a tournament where anyone can compete. “You should join the German club because the more the merrier,” said Vester. Club meetings are to be determined.