The Student News Site of Champion High School

Charger Ink.

Charger Ink.

Charger Ink.

Shaking Poms

Shaking Poms

Meet Kenli Waters, the spirited varsity cheerleader from Champion High school, who’s redefining school spirit one cheer at a time.

“My favorite memory is me and my team waiting after a competition to see what place we got, being a team bonding experience,” said Waters.

Kenli has been cheerleading since she was 3 years old, ever since she was little, she would spend hours everyday practicing and perfecting her skills.

“We unroll mats, stretch, jump jacks, then soon we practice our stunts,band chants, and my position,” Waters said.

Waters’s position on the cheer team is a back spot, an important part of cheerleading, making sure the top girl and stunt group feel safe and strong.

“Backspots in cheerleading keep the flier steady and safe. If the flier starts falling it’s our responsibility to catch the flier-no matter what,” Waters said.

While practicing almost everyday, she has formed friendships in the team and the team became a family. 

“I love the relationship we have for each other, it feels like I’m in a big family and I could tell them anything,” Kenli said.

She has blended with many loved ones  throughout different teams over the years.

“I have been on 5 teams, Champion High School being the best team I have experienced so far.” 

While cheerleading takes up the majority of her time and schedule, Waters enjoys other activities besides cheer during her free time.

“My favorite thing to do out of cheerleading is spending time with my little sister and creating new memories with her.” 

Waters’s younger sister gives Kenli motivation to try harder and do better.

“I love seeing my little sister in the stands looking up to me. Her copying my band chants inspires me to be a role model for her and to be a better cheerleader for her,” said Waters.

Her influence impacts other team members as well.

“Kenli is so fun, she is funny and lights up the room when she walks in,” fellow cheer member sophomore Addison Homan said.

Addison Homan and Caroline Sedlak are Waters’s closest friends on the team. They are also on the varsity cheer team and usually work with Waters.They also talk about her inspiring energy during performances.

“The greatest memory is when we were at UIL and we were doing a mosh pit, and she started to dance in the middle, and everybody on our team was cheering her on,” Sedlak said.

Now that Waters is almost done with highschool. She looks forward to every practice and every competition that comes her way. “I really love this team and I can’t wait for future competitions and new memories to be made,” Waters said.