Student Council Raises Money for Children in Foster Care

Student Council Instagram Page

Members of Student Council pose in their Day 1 Bags t-shirts as well as their Navy Out swag.

Lindsey Castillon, Social Media and Marketing

Student Council has been selling t-shirts during all lunches and every morning this week to profit the Day 1 Bags Organization. These navy shirts will fill the stands tonight, Aug. 26 as the varsity football team plays their first game of the year against Laredo United South High School. Now, what exactly is Day 1 Bags and how did Champion come in contact with them? The fundraiser, which will benefit children in foster care, was started six years ago by a former Boerne High School student. 

“Day 1 Bags is a nonprofit organization that started right here in Boerne,” said Hunter Beaton, CEO and founder of Day 1 Bags and BHS Class of 2018. “Our mission is to provide brand new, high-quality duffle bags and backpacks, instead of trash bags, to youth in foster care and at-risk youth in order to provide a sense of dignity as they move in and out of shelters and foster care placements.”
Athletic Director Terry Gault decided to pull in Champion STUCO to help fundraise for Day 1 Bags after hearing about the work they did with kids in foster care. 80% of students in the system have mental health issues compared to 18-22% of the general population, more often than not due to the stress of transitioning between homes. Providing a backpack provides confidence for each child during the transfer process.

“No child needs to be carrying their books or possessions in a trash bag. We are here to help bring dignity to those who deserve it,” said Beaton.

Day 1 Bags has served over 100,000 youth in foster care in the six years since its founding, as well as provided over 3,000 graduation gifts to high school youth in foster care. More than 2,000 students in Boerne ISD alone have received backpacks filled with supplies such as toiletries and clothing.

“Our Boerne community, including students, has been blessed to be named one of the most philanthropic counties in Texas. We are a tight-knit community that often looks out for each other. Even with a donation of $15 per t-shirt, we are making a huge difference,” said Beaton.

In the past month alone, Boerne donated over 1,500 backpacks to surrounding areas. 

“These are students that need the basic supplies like a bag to carry their school supplies, and our communities have helped raise funds to ensure that these youth have the proper supplies,” said Beaton.

The profits from t-shirt sales will benefit local districts such as Laredo ISD and Flour Bluff ISD. Since the football game will be against United South, which is in Laredo ISD, one of Beaton’s goals is for both the home and visitor crowds to feel welcome, especially with his theme: ‘When YOU are here, YOU are Home!’

“Our goal is to fill both sides of the stadium with our gift by wearing and giving our visitors a shirt to feel welcomed in Boerne,” said Beaton. United South HS will also go home with custom-made Day 1 Bags supplied by Flying Circle Gear. 

To support Day 1 Bags, students can purchase a t-shirt as well as donate old backpacks or duffel bags. The nonprofit has expanded since its roots in Boerne, but this fundraiser marks a return to where it all began.

“We have been very blessed to have very supportive Boerne ISD administration,” said Beaton. “I have seen us grow this organization from a concept to a reality and positively impacting so many youths in foster care.”