HOSA Prepares to Host Second Annual Blood Drive

Amelie Brosien

Sophomore Rebekah Jackson poses with blood-drawing equipment in the health classroom. The health students are the ones organizing the drive, which will bring blood to regional hospitals for transfusions.

Amelie Brosien, Junior Editor

The Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) organization is facilitating a blood drive on Friday, September 16, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., in the band parking lot. Months of planning have been put into this event to ensure the utmost ease for the process.

“I think it’s going to be relatively successful. We’ve spent a month planning this to coordinate how students will get out of class, securing snacks, and just taking precautions,” said junior Caroline Smith, president of HOSA. “It’s a really good way to give back to this community. ”

This will be the second year that Champion hosts a blood drive. There are no more spots available, but students who have signed up to donate will be excused from class during their appointment; HOSA members will also receive three healthcare hours for donating blood.

“We are partnering with the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center (TSTBTC) and they’ll be bringing a ‘blood bus’, where blood donations will be made under extremely sterile conditions,” said Christine Shneiker, vice president of HOSA.

TSTBTC  suggested the event as part of a wider initiative to provide more health resources to the community. HOSA agreed, with some seeing it as a way to give back to the area and help students become less intimidated by the process.

“HOSA has had great success in the past,” said Shneiker. “Seeing as we have filled up all the donation spots this year, I think it’s going to be another great success!” said Shnieker.

For the students planning to donate, there will be snacks and drinks afterwards to stabilize them and make sure they leave in optimal condition. A nurse will be present to aid with any complications. 

“I think it’s a really great idea; it really helps our community, especially during this pandemic, because blood is always a necessity,” said Smith.